Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Keeping you safe at night

I've been on the overnight shift all week, tonight in the Denver Joint Information Center. There are about 10 of us here, and each person has a different assignment.

Denver set up this room over the last couple of months. It is an old janitor's closet - really! It is truly in the bowels of the City and County Building. There are about 18 computers and phones lots of televisions, but only the reruns of the DNC speeches are on now.

Since we are working 12 hour shifts, parking was a problem - there aren't that many places downtown where you can park that long, and overlapping into two days. They set up parking for us in a nearby structure. That was great. I had to walk a couple blocks, and even though it was 9:30 in the evening, I never felt so safe - there were police officers all over the place. Maybe that was primarily because we are near the DPD headquarters, but I haven't been around town much this week. Sleeping during the day means that you miss a lot of what is going on.

Got a "tweet" today (a Twitter text message) from a co-worker that said that the DNC is hard on marriages. It really is hard to maintain relationships when you work at night and sleep during the day. My daughter had to go stay with her godmother for the week, so she could get to school each day and eat real food. I won't see her until Friday evening. I bet she is having a great time with her godmother, but I hope she keeps up with her homework.

No comments: