Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Did you know your neighbors at your precinct caucus?

Last night, in spite of the cold and my cold, I dragged myself out to the precinct caucus to help Colorado make history. For our very first Super Tuesday, there was quite a turn-out. There were thousands of people trying to get into a middle school and adjacent high school for I don't know how many precincts.

It occurred to me that I had never seen so many of my "neighbors" in one place. It was relatively orderly, but pretty confusing.

Two things came to mind. First, evacuations and shelters - what if we all had to go to those schools for shelter? How would we have coped with temporary communal living? Would I have been able to grab anything from our "go-kit" on the way out? My emergency supplies container is huge - and that's even without food and water. I resolved to make backpacks for each of us with our bare essentials for an evacuation on foot.

Second, my neighbors - there were three people there from my block that I knew by name and possibly a few more by sight. I wish that I had thought about this before the caucus, but wouldn't it have been nice to start a neighborhood registry? I think I will call my city council representative about having a neighborhood event to help people get to know each other.

Finally, I skimmed through a few blogs this morning and saw that our friends at READYColorado posted a piece about planning for our pets. When I thought about sheltering, I forgot about this - even though we have two dogs.

Check out that information about how to prepare for your pets during an emergency. It's great information. http://breadyblog.com/

No comments: