Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's really snowy today...

...and it makes me wonder if I would really be able to stay home for three days if I had to.

I'm such a gear-head that I've got all the gadgets -- lantern, flashlights, butane stove, portable TV, a hand-crank radio, even a butane heater. I think I am pretty well set with my first aid kit. We even have the recommended bucket with lid and lots of bags just in case the plumbing isn't usable.

There's lots of food in the house, even canned milk. But what if the power goes out and we can't microwave (my favorite type of "cooking!")? How would we do when we run out of fresh fruits and vegetables?

And do I really have enough water if Denver Water goes down? Let's see... that would be one gallon a day times three days times two people -- hey, what about the two dogs?!

That reminds me - I think I am running out of medication for our high-maintenance greyhound...

How about you? What keeps you from being able to say,

YES! I can easily stay home for three days if needed.


You can find out what should be in your emergency kit at http://dola.colorado.gov/dem/public_information/emergency_kit.htm. That's from the State Division of Emergency Management here in Colorado, one of our sister agencies.



1 comment:

Chennelle Valenzuela said...

I think my family would be able to manage for three days if we were snowed in. Now if it were a week...we might have some issues. We have plenty of non-perishable foods, meds, clothing, blankets, and I think the two main items we would be lacking on is water and batteries. You can never have too many batteries for all those emergency electronics! I guess one problem that we would have is storing all this "emergency kit items", our house is a little on the smaller side with not a whole lot of closet space. Hmmm...I guess that is something we will have to plan around and hopefully we will find a good storage solution! - Chennelle Valenzuela